Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Couponing 101

Welcome to my attempt at a couponing blog! Couponing is something I love to do. Seeing the savings at the end of the receipt add up and end up with so little spent but with so much in my cart definitely can be a rush!

I've been doing this on and off since I was little. Mom isn't sure where I learned how to coupon, but I've always had a knack for it. Now that I'm back into the couponing arena, I've been able to accumulate quite a stockpile of items that help me and my family out. Learning how to stock up when you can get a really good deal means that you have to spend less in the future for the same items when they aren't on sale or affordable.


So, here we go..

First of all, there is a few things everyone needs to understand:

1. Every store has a different coupon policy. Yes, two identical stores 5 miles apart may have seperate store policies regarding coupons. Ask at your favorite stores ahead of time to see what theirs is.

2. There are a lot of people who don't appreciate couponers. Ignore those people/cashiers/other customers. Don't get discouraged by those who get impatient or rude.

3. Visit different couponing sites to find one that suits you. Hotcouponworld.com or SlickDeals.net or AFullCup.com are all great sites that offer a wealth of information.

4. Learn how to use coupons correctly. I know this sounds weird, but there are many people who use them improperly and cause issues for those who use them right. For instance, you can print coupons via several sites, however it is illegal to photocopy them. Doing so is considered Coupon Fraud.

5. If you don't have many newspapers, there's a few options. 1) See if neighbors or friends can give you theirs. This is free to you and many people just throw them away. 2) Purchase them online. Ebay is one site that you can buy coupons from, but there are others. Check on the couponing websites to find lists. 3) Trade for them! The same sites usually have a trading forum where people list what they have and will trade for other coupons, stamps (yes, postage stamps!), PayPal or good old concealed cash.

6. There are different types of coupons: Manufacturer's Coupons and Store Coupons. I'll cover these in my next blog to help break down how these work together for the best savings.

Lastly, I'm in Florida so there is only so many stores here. If you're in another state and need some help with a specific deal, leave me a message with the city/state and store as well as what you're looking to do and I'll do my best to help. I'm not perfect. I'm still learning just like everyone else as I only have experience within my local area. If I don't know the answer, I'll try to find someone who does or direct you to a site that does have an answer for you.

Please also remember that I'm only 1 person. I do this because I love it. I want to help others realize the savings they can see so quickly if they put a little time, energy and patience into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment